The Department of Economics is excited to welcome our newest Hokies! Virtual Academic Advising and Course Registration is one of the most important parts of your transitition to college. This is where you will learn about life as a Hokie, obtain very important information for your success, and meet with your academic advisor to enroll in classes for the fall semester.
Virtual Academic Advising and Course Registration CHECKLIST
1. CREATE your VT Username (PID)
2. ENROLL in the 2-Factor Authentication with Duo
3. DOWNLOAD the DUO Mobile App on your personal smartphone and enroll the device
4. ADD your VT email to your personal smartphone
5. ACCESS and READ your VT GMail daily
6. DOWNLOAD Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer for FREE! You will need this software when completing the College of Science Orientation Worksheet and other forms at the university. Complete this before attempting the remainder of this checklist.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for free!
Watch this video on how to download and install on a PC
Watch this video on how to download and install on a MAC
1. BOOKMARK the College of Science website
2. LOOKUP VT courses equivalent to Advanced Placement (AP), Cambridge International Examination, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Dual Enrollment (DE), International Baccalaureate (IB) scores and Transfer Credits.
Use the Transfer Guides
1. BOOKMARK the Department of Economics website https://www.econ.vt.edu
2. COMPLETE the Economics Orientation Survey
You need to be logged into your Virginia Tech google account to complete the form.
3. TAKE the ALEKS Placement Assessment for MATH 1225 if you do not have equivalent credit for MATH 1225 or MATH 1025.
MATH 1225 and MATH 1226, Calculus of a Single Variable, is the Math sequence preferred by the Department of Economics. Completion of the ALEKS Placement Assessment is required for placement in MATH 1225.
4. PREPARE for Class Registration
- Go to Hokie Spa
- Click Hokie Scheduler
- Select Term - Select Spring 2023 and click Save and Continue
- Select Campus - Select Blacksburg and click Save and Continue.
- When directed click on Open Action Items to update: Emergency Contact Address, Emergency Contact Confirmed, FERPA Release, VT Alerts, Self-Disclosure of Arrest/Conviction, and Student Financial Responsibility
Click Hokie Scheduler (Instructional Video) (PDF Instructions)
Select Term - Select Spring 2023 and click Save and Continue
Select Campus - Select Blacksburg and click Save and Continue
- Select Courses to take in Spring 2023
- Submit cart in Hokie Scheduler to complete registration.
7. SCHEDULE your 30 minute virtual academic advising and course registration appointment with the Department Advisor, Erika Perdue, using the link provided in the email Erika Perdue sent you via Navigate in December.
1. SIGN UP for University New Student Orientation
You will receive an email invitation with a link to register for New Student Orientation. Orientation will be held January 10-13
2. COMPLETE the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you wish to apply for financial aid
3. COMPLETE and SUBMIT the immunization history form
1. SEND your official high school transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions once you have received your final grades.
Office of Undergraduate Admission
925 Prices Fork Road
Blacksburg, VA 24061
2. SUBMIT your Advanced Placment (AP), Cambridge International Exam, College Level Examiniation Program (CLEP), Dual-Enrollment (DE), International Baccalaureate (IB) scores to Virginia Tech (#5859)
Expected Credits Guide
3. SUBMIT your official transcripts from two-year and 4-year institutions previously attended. Refer to the Transfer Guides to determine courses at Virginia Tech that are equivalent to courses completed elsewhere.
4. VERIFY receipt of AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, and transfer credits in Hokie Spa. This needs to be regularly reviewed until all incoming credits are processed.
- Click Hokie Spa
- Click Grade Menu
- Click Transfer and Other Additional Credits