Add/Drop opens November 24. Add will be open until January 28. Drop open until Feruary 25.
Unable to add ECON 3104?
If you have receieved AP, TR, IB, AS, RP credit for ECON 3005, MATH 1225, 1226, 2114, 1014, 1025, 1026, 1525, or 1526 you will not be able to add ECON 3104 yourself. You will need to submit the ECON 3104 Issues form.
Completed a pre-req for an ECON course elsewhere in Fall?
It can take 4-6 weeks for transfer credit to be processed at the end of fall. If you completed a course that is a pre-req for an ECON course you need to take this spring and the credit has not yet been processed follow these steps.
1. Have an official transcript sent to the Registrar's Office
2. Have a printed official transcript sent to you showing the final grade in the course taken elsewhere.
3. Bring the printed official transcript you receive to the Department's Undergraduate Advisor for review during walk-in office hours Monday through Friday 9:30-11:30am and 2:30-4:30pm.
4. If sufficient and seats are available you will be placed in a section of the course for which the course taken elsewhere is a pre-req.
Virginia Tech accepts coursework completed elsewhere if the work meets certain criteria. This work includes Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Credit by Exam (CLEP), Community College courses, and other 4-Year Institutions courses.
The Registrar’s Office provides comprehensive guides for transfer credits.
A hold is a block that is placed on your account because you have failed to complete a required action with a specific department on campus. All holds can be viewed in Hokie Spa. Each hold includes a description and an email to contact. Please contact the person indicated to discuss the hold.
Click here for an explanation of holds used by the Department of Economics.
The Department of Economics requires students in both Economics, College of Science (ECAS) and Economics, College of Business (ECON) to meet the following Progress Toward Degree requirements.
1. Upon having attempted 72 credit hours a student must have completed ECON 2005, 2006, 3104, 3204, and STAT 3005 or BIT 2405-2406 with at least a C in each course.
2. None of the above courses or any course taken to complete the major requirements can be repeated more than once.
3. A student must be enrolled in at least two ECON courses or courses that are the prerequisites of courses required to meet progress toward degree.
4. A 2.000 Overall and In-Major GPA must be met and maintained.
5. No more than 3 ECON courses can be repeated.
A student will be notified by email in the semester prior to reaching 72 credit hours for a chance to continue in the major under a Policy 91 Contract.
If a student attempts 72 credit hours and the above requirements are not met and the student is not on a Policy 91 Contract a hold will be placed on the student’s account and the student will have to change majors.